Wednesday, July 8, 2009

"Foreign" Experiences in Japan

During the last week and a half or so I have gone to several restaurants that aren't Japanese in origin but come from foreign countries (mostly the United States). Last week, we had dinner at El Torito in Shinjuku. Unlike, Mexican food in America and Mexico none of the dishes came with beans.

A couple of days ago, Jillian and I went to Shibuya and ate a blooming onion at Outback Steakhouse because our friend Taro is a waiter there. I looked up Outback on Wikipedia when I got home and it turns out that it isn't from Australia at all but based out of Tampa, Florida. I realized later that this was the first restaurant I've been to that had everything in English but it was also my least favorite restaurant since I don't eat beef. The blooming onion was deliciously fattening as usual though!

Today I went to Tully's Coffee...they have a lot of them here (though not as many as Starbucks of course) and I had only been to one once in the United States when I went to its hometown of Seattle. I've never even seen one in California. In any case it's been kind of fun to try American chains in Japan because they are usually slightly different than at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment