Monday, July 13, 2009

Between the Clouds: Fujisan

We survived our climb of Fujisan on Saturday. As I was hiking I didn't think it was too bad but my legs are still tired and a little sore two days later so maybe my lungs are just stronger than my legs...it was shorter and less tiring than Mt. Whitney and Longs Peak but there weren't as many switch backs as those hikes. Portions of it seemed to be almost straight up. I had fun with that since I miss the frequent opportunities to rock climb in Colorado. The way down wasn't as exciting to me since I constantly felt like I was going to slip on the small volcanic rocks that cover the trail. It turns out though that it is much more pleasant hiking down a mountain without a 40 pound pack like my dad and I did when we went down the Mt. Whitney trail.

We could only see clouds from the summit but this was a pretty cool perspective. It seemed like we were between two layers of clouds. There was a blanket of white clouds below us and above us there was another layer...I never felt like I was actually in the clouds but I could always see them.


As always, the experience of reaching a mountaintop has inspired me to hike as many mountains as possible. This is a very convenient thing to want to do since I'll be living close to most of the tallest mountains in California (and the lower 48 states)!

No comments:

Post a Comment